Brian:

If I understand your model correctly, it's something like this:

hd_ticket--1:1-->purchase_request--1:n-->line_ltem--1:n-->po_number
(note this is intended to be a data relationship diagram, not a chronological
diagram)

As a developer, rather than focusing on making sure the hd_ticket gets the
final state of all the related data, I would focus on making sure the data
foreign to each table is consistent at all times.  Then it doesn't matter
if/when they change a foreign data element from a (grand)child record.  In this
case, applying this idea results in several tasks:

1. any time po_number data is changed, make sure any summary (foreign) data on
the line_item parent is accurately reflected
2. any time a line_item changes, make sure any summary data on the
purchase_request parent is accurately reflected
3. any time a purchase_request changes, make sure any summary data on the
hd_ticket parent is accurately reflected

At execution time, you'll have to make sure that 1 (above) completes before 2,
and that 2 completes before 3.  Implementing this is fairly straightforward
except for when concurrent updates from different users can occur.  BMC uses
tricks like forcing a save on a child record before allowing the manual
creation/update of a parent record.

To summarize: I'm suggesting re-engineering the workflow to avoid the data sync
errors.  After all, you have plenty of spare time during your work day, right?
:-^

--Phil