** Don't forget that the WUT and Alert eat up licenses whereas MT can be configured to timeout, etc.  Also, last time I checked (7.5 version) Alert and WUT both completely prevent machines from going to sleep on their own, which seriously complicates any kind of energy conservation policy.

Brien

On 4/5/2010 11:56 AM, Jason Miller wrote:
** I agree.  We are currently on ARS 7.5 with Help Desk 6.  We are currently building on our new ARS 7.5 / ITSM 7.6 environment.  When we "upgrade" to the new environment our users will no longer use the WUT.

One example of the cost is the ODBC driver connection information in our last deployment of WUT was only setup maybe half of the time (and I think that is generous).  We receive many tickets about errors when a user tries to run a Crystal Report.  The fix is easy and there is an RKM article detailing the fix but we still get tickets. These incidents are a distraction and take time away from the developer on call (we are the app admins and developers).

We also have some other applications that use Crystal Reports libraries.  When both this app and WUT are installed on a machine, the app that was installed first breaks.  The is not an issue running Crystal Reports from the Mid-Tier.

I am looking forward to moving to an all MT environment.  One less moving part we have to worry about and keep updated.  Also we have been taking advantage of the very cool 7.5 features that only work on the web.

One caveat is that we have some power users who use the AR ODBC connector with Excel or Access.  They may still the WUT just for the ODBC connection.  We just purchased licenses for Analytics so this may replace what they are doing in MS apps?  We'll see.

Jason

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM, LJ Longwing <lj.longw...@gmail.com> wrote:
**
Mark,
Based on my past experience at shops that used thick client (my current position does not), the process of packaging up the user tool in whatever deployment tool you have and deploying it is tedious at best.  In my current position the only thing I need to upgrade is the server and everyone automatically gets the new 'client'....it's not saying that there is no cost associated with running a Mid-Tier server, it's saying the cost of deployment/maintenance of a single server vs 100's/1000's of clients is less, and I would whole heartedly agree with them.....just my opinion at least.

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Brittain, Mark
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 9:01 AM

To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Remedy Alert - will it go away with the User tool?

**

Interesting article. However what is the basis for this assumption? Also, the deployment and maintenance of a traditional “thick client” increases IT costs within an organization as compared to a web client based solution. “

The client does not add any addition IT cost to an organization. Forcing me to deploy a mid-tier server does. Just so you know I do have a mid-tier server, and it does have a cost. What if I did not and had no plans to deploy the mid-tier?

So I would very much like to know the basis of this assumption.

Thanks

Mark