From:         "Mueller, Doug" <doug_muel...@bmc.com>
Sender:       "Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)"
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Date:         Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:16:54
To: <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: Searching for CIs with specific related records

Rick,

OK, it has been a few weeks.  So, I am behind a little......

The operation you describe is a standard, supported operation within the CMDB.
You can go to a CMDB
screen directly and perform this search.

You can request exactly what you want

For class that holds OSes (OK, so I don't know the name) where value is Windows
2003
that is connected using a relationship of class y
to the class that holds patches where the value of the patch is service pack 3

And to go further, it could be

Computer systems
that are connected to OSes using relationship z
<and the query from above>

to find the systems rather than the OS instances.

No joins need to be created.  No special preparation.  You can do a multi-class
search following relationships
and get back a result of the system following the cross class qualification.

Hopefully, you have found this by now.  But, just in case not, I wanted to send
a note (a less than timely
but hopefully useful one).

Doug