Hi Anne,

Actually, I was under the impression that Dave was not “…the official voice of
BMC…” (based upon his sig-line which clearly indicates his opinions are his
own);  I simply thought he’d have the answer to this question regarding proper
licensing requirements.

What I am trying to confirm is similar to what you opined – namely:
“Free read/submit is intended as a convenience for people - usually end users -
 to submit their own tickets; if they then need to add an update they can.”

I do not understand your next statement about “…having a help desk person take
the ticket on the phone…”  Wouldn’t they then be the “Submitter”, and thus ruin
the ability of the actual end user with the issue to add an updated
description, for example?

I guess to be real clear, I am asking if “Submitter Mode Lock” creates a
situation where the end users do not have to have a paid license, only the help
desk and actual “second level” actually working the ticket do?  Is not the
intent of “Submitter Mode Lock” to make Remedy affordable to an organization so
it is more widely used?

Also to be explicitly clear, I am only concerned with custom in house written
Remedy apps, not ones that have additional licensing requirements.

Chas

Subject: Re: License Question...

And just as a reminder (although Dave is the official voice of BMC) -

Free read/submit is intended as a convenience for people - usually end users -
to submit their own tickets; if they then need to add an update they can.

One should not try to get around this by, for an example, having a help desk
person take the ticket on the phone; putting them as the submitter; and then
letting them work the ticket through to the end or put in updates from the
second level people who are actually working the ticket without a write
license. Or let's say I'm a change person; if I open a change request for
myself and then want to work it all the way through to completion - I should
have a write license.

If one is working a ticket, one is expected to have a write license. There are
always technical tricks you can do, but those are not allowed (the EULA has
wording to this effect).

Anne
*** not speaking officially from BMC but trying to ensure the point of read vs
write licenses are not missed ***

now, back to the smoked salmon...