Hi,

BMC just released new Product Catalog data based on ADDM discovery data.

I was hoping to use this data immediately as we need to reconcile ADDM
data with other data sources (HP uCMDB, CiscoWorks and manual audit data).

I loaded the data only to find that it looks amateurish.

Specifically:
Data has the first character as upper case and the rest as lower. This
means that we see companies like Bmc, Ibm, Hp, etc. The product name data
is also the same. For reports this won't look good.

Then there are exceptions and possible duplicates such as the inclusion of
both 'Network associates' and 'Networks Associates' (note the capital
'A').

Although open to debate the customer here thinks the normalisation aliases
are the wrong way around for companies like BMC (BMC Software converts to
BMC), HP (Hewlett-Packard converts to Hp), etc.

The Tier 1-3 values are all the same. A suggestion of possible values
would have been good.

The data only includes Product class data. The opportunity to include
other classes has been missed (but I hope will come later).

The customer here has decided to analyse ADDM data themselves and create
Product Catalog, Manufacturers and NE aliases.

The BMC data as it stands is as much help as the old DSL data was (did
anyone really use this?). Maybe I was expecting too much!

Anyone else looked at this?

Cheers

Peter