Jeff, are you sure you need the extra heap space the 64 bit Java will give
you?  BMC states that the 32 bit jvm is about 45% faster than the 64 bit.
Your choice, just want to be sure you see the cost from both sides.

Rick
On Jun 29, 2011 8:29 AM, "Wilson, Jeffrey M" <jmwil...@directv.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're running into some issues with a midtier upgrade that we're are
trying to implement. Configuration details are as follows:

> Original Configuration:
> Server and Midtier
> Redhat Linux 4.6 (32-bit)
> ARS 7.1 patch 6
> Java 1.5.0_12 (32 bit)
> ITSM 7.0.03 patch 9
>
> New Configuration:
> Server
> Redhat Linux 4.6 (32-bit)
> ARS 7.1 patch 6
> Java 1.5.0_12 (32 bit)
> ITSM 7.0.03 patch 9
>
> Midtier
> Redhat Linux 5.6 (64-bit)
> ARS 7.6.0.4
> Java 1.5.0_12 (64 bit)
>
> The behavior that we are seeing is that some active links are not firing
as expected on the new midtier. For example, a user can click on the View
button on Task tab of the Incident form but nothing happens on the 7.6
midtier. There are no errors generated in the tomcat or midtier logs. At
this point, we're not sure if there is a common thread between the missing
active links. I realize that BMC has documented that there are certain
expected interoperability issues associated with a 7.6.0.4 64-bit midtier
and older AR server versions but the documentation indicates the limitations
are related to data visualization fields. We've already tried using a 32-bit
JVM but that had no impact on the active link behavior and defeats one of
the purposes of the upgrade (more java heap space). I'll try installing
7.6.0.4 SP1 this morning. Has anybody run into this before with a hybrid
configuration? Are there any obscure midtier configuration changes that are
necessary that might have been overlooked? Any suggestions on other things
to try? Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.