You're on the right track. We ran into this on 7.5 too.

The notification gets pushed into the NTE SYS Process Control form, and then
into the AR System Email Messages form if it is addressed to a single
individual. The group emails go into a second form and they are moved out by an
escalation which is installed to run in the same pool as everything else
(zero). That escalation turns expands the members of the group and turns the
notification into multiple individual messages. Usually there are enough jobs
going on in that default escalation pool to prevent the group emails from being
processed because escalation thread is busy doing something else when it is
time to process the groups.

A solution is to increase the number of threads available for escalations and
to change the pool for the group notification escalation to something other
than the default.  We also noticed that the escalation for the groups was
installed to run every ten minutes instead of every minute. I cannot see a
logical reason to want to delay the group's notifications, so I would consider
running that more frequently as long as it's not in the same escalation pool.

Sorry I cannot remember the exact names of the escalations today!

Doug

--
Doug Blair
+1 224-558-5462

Sent from my iPad2
Auto-corrected typos, misspellings and non-sequiturs are gratefully attributed
to Steve Jobs :-)