From: Brian Pancia [mailto:panc...@finityit.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:31 AM
Subject: Age old debate - categorizations

**

This topic comes up every once and awhile on arslist.  I talked to a few
people at WWRUG that have really struggled with this.  I would be interested
to see if we can have people submit 5 examples of operational categorization
for Incident Management they use and why they chose the method.  In the end
we should end up with a pretty decent list that people can use when trying
to define categorizations.

Examples

Incident - Application - Error

Request - Password - Reset

Request - Question - How-To

Event - System - Approaching Threshold

Inquiry - Suspicious Activity - Malicious Code

I've used this approach to allow for reporting and setting business rules
per ITIL process (incident, request, event, and security management).  Tier
2 is for the what under each process and lines up with an organizations
services, technical areas, and key support areas.  Tier 3 is a simplified
explanation of the issue the user is calling about.

I continually try to come up with different ways to simplify the
categorization, so that it is useful to the business, but also easy enough
for the Service Desk people to quickly chose the right categorization for
the ticket.  I really appreciate everyone's input and insight.  I know this
is always a burning issue for new Remedy admin/developers to seasoned.

Brian Pancia
President

Finity IT, LLC

44081 Pipeline Plaza, Suite 100-5

Ashburn, VA 20147
Tel:  (571) 252-5090 x301
Fax: (571) 222-0043
brian.pan...@finityit.com

www.finityit.com <http://www.finityit.com/>

Finity IT, LLC is a  Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB).
Finity IT is a leading provider of IT Optimization services and solutions.
Specializing in Service Management, Enterprise Architecture, and Solutions
Arcitecture services.

DISCLAIMER:  The information contained in this e-mail and its attachments
contain confidential information belonging to the sender, which is legally
privileged.  The information is intended only for the use of the
recipient(s) named above.  If  you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in reliance
upon the contents of the information transmitted is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this information in error, please delete it immediately.