My 2 cents on this as I have had to set the strategy for our organization to
normalize, harmonize, integrate, and de-confuse (is that even a word?) in
understanding the difference and similarities between CTI, Service Catalog
(front end), and CMDB service modeling. It’s a lot to type so maybe if a few of
you want to jump on a conference call, I can arrange something with a webex so
it can be almost a workshop. I’d love to have Rick on it. Let me know if you
folks are interested. I think at the very least, it would be a great
conversation to have.

To tackle the question about password resets being recorded within
Incident/Change management, it really is a separation in thinking about the
tool which is Remedy and the ITIL processes of incident/change/request
fulfillment. The first thing is to understand that everything is really a
change. However, it all depends on how much scrutiny you want to put on certain
changes. For example, let’s take changing a user account’s password. If that
user account is for an individual employee, your organization may decide or
assume that it is so low risk, that the only scrutiny it requires is of the
technician performing the change. Hence, you may decide that changing a user’s
password can be handled within the Incident management module as a service
request that does not require any scrutiny or approval. However, if the user
account for which you are changing a password is a service account that runs
your entire SAP HR and FICO system, than you may want more scrutiny in which
you would put the same type of password change request through the Change
Management system because then, you have others who will scrutinize and approve
the change and not just the technician.