Hey Joe,

It is my understanding that MS-SQL outperforms any oracle implementation on any
OS when it comes to case-insensitive searches (provided the hardware was
similar).  Oracle does not support it as an option you turn on with 10g or
earlier (10GR2 is where you can build indexes that use full text search).
Before R2 you have to rebuild all of your searches to use “UPPER(FIELD1)  =
UPPER(FIELD2)” which involves a full table scan because “UPPER” is a function.

I found this from a remedy message board:

“It should be noted that this is NOT a BMC/Remedy issue.
In Oracle 10g it is documented that you can set “case insensitivity” by setting
the session
parameters:
NLS_SORT=BINARY_CI
and
NLS_COMP=LINGUISTIC
What we've found in various Oracle forums is that setting these renders all of
your existing indexes useless to the DB until you
recreate them using the syntax:
create [unique] index index_name on
table_name (NLSSORT(column_name, 'NLS_SORT=BINARY_CI'));
Here’s an example of how this even affects the unique index on C1. Notice that
without setting “case insensitivity” the DB is able
to do an INDEX UNIQUE SCAN returning the row very quickly with an overall cost
of only 2:”

It should be noted that Remedy does not build indexes this way out of the box.
You would have to configure ardb.conf to build them this way (and I’m not sure
if it could do it).  Which would be a major pain.

Again … this could be accomplished via a different means in Remedy by using
Full Text Search.  Your crunching is not done at the DB level but at the app
level.  Not every field needs to be case insensitive.  You gain performance at
the db level because of the case-sensitive search and you gain the
functionality of case-insensitive search via Full Text Search.  – this would be
realized if you went the Oracle route.

All I am saying is that there are other considerations when choosing your
Hardware/OS.

Thanks,

Sean