We had the same issue with trying to set Sent Message to No.

Here is what we do for our test environment where we don't want to spam
"regular" users.  Unless the email address is whitelisted we tack the
address in the To: field on to the end of the subject and replace the To:
with the email address of an account created for these redirected messages.
We also have workflow to look at CC: and BCC: but I can't remember if it
just nulls them out or does the whitelist check also.

Jason