Kelly,

Just as a troubleshooting step, what happens if you get rid of any Run-if
(so the filter always runs) on your filter and take out any actions other
than setting the Send Messages field to "No".  If that sets all messages to
No (and the value sticks), then you know your problem isn't with the setting
of the Send Messages field.  Conversely, if its still getting set back to
Yes,  then that might make it more clear as to what is setting the value.

(we do what you are trying to do, and setting the field to No works as
expected).

Hope that helps some.
Thad