From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Misi Mladoniczky
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:30 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Mid-Tier Caching Endeavors

Hi all Mid-Tier Admins!

I have had a series of frustrating issues with Mid-Tier 7.6.04 SP2 caching,
that I think I have now come to grips with.

What I did was to create a Group (STUGUN) and a Role (STUGUN) to be used in
customization of the application "Remedy Incident Management". The role granted
access to a set of ACTLs.

What happened was that Mid-Tier failed to recache things sometimes, and some
users with this group (STUGUN) got access to the ACTLs, and some did not.

The same user could get different results depending on which Mid-Tier he
accessed.

My error, I think, is that the STUGUN-Group was set defined as a None-Group.

As it was mapped to a Role, it worked fine to assign permission to it, and it
also worked fine in Remedy User.

When Mid-Tier does its caching, it will create a unique Group-combination based
on each users unique combination of Groups.

For example if a user belongs to:

20213 => Service Request User (Change)

10001 => STUGUN (None, this is my group)

20003 => Incident User (Change)

20000 => General Access (Change)

20032 => Asset Viewer (Change)

1000000021 => 1000000021 (None) - this is a Support Group

The Unique combination here will be ";20000;20003;20032;20213;" where the two
groups with Group-Type "None" has been stripped out.

This is because None-groups should not be able to change access in any way,
except for row-level-access, but that is calculated in another way.

So depending on if the first User with the unique permission map
";20000;20003;20032;20213;" belonged to my STUGUN-group or not, the cached file
included/excluded permission to thos STUGUN-Active-Links!

SOLUTION: Change the None-Group to View or Change

CONCLUSION: Never map a None-Group to a Role

Please let me know if my deductions seems flawed in any way!

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):