I would like to get some input on something I have been thinking about
recently.  I am considering creating a new DB on the same DB server as the
ARSystem DB.  This DB would be right next to the ARSystem DB but would
house all of the custom DB work we do.  My thought is to have all custom
tables, views, stored procedures, functions, etc. in new DB which would
ideally leave everything in the ARSystem DB created, maintained and
modified via the AR System API or BMC installers.  Basically I am picturing
a layer of abstraction or a library of custom objects if you will.  Maybe
more like a different namespace or data set for those CMDB gurus out there.

As it is right now in our very customized 7.5 ARS DB all custom tables,
views, etc. are all intermixed with the ARS maintained objects. We try to
keep our objects lumped together by naming convention but just when my team
starts using the same convention a different DBA (for example) comes along
and uses their favorite convention.  If we all agree to only make changes
to the custom DB then naming convention is not as important (DBAs usually
ask which DB do you need something not so much “what is your naming
convention?”).

Another considerations is portability of the ARSystem DB.  Right now when
we refresh our production DB to another environment there are things like
different linked server references that need to be updated, object owners,
etc.  All objects in the custom DB would have the same names between
environments (Dev, QA, Prod).  With all of the custom objects in their own
DB we can move ARSystem DBs between environments and as long as the custom
DB is configured correctly for the environment no changes are needed to any
of ARSystem DB objects.

Our new “out of the box” ITSM 7.6.04 system does not have any custom DB
work done yet but I know it is only a matter of time before the need arises
as we transition between old and new systems.  If there are advantages and
no major negative results to this architecture I would like to set this up
while we are still out of the box.

Can anybody think of any negative (or positive) effects of this approach?
 I am figuring because it still on the same DB server that there should not
be much performance impact.

Thanks!
Jason