This is the second time using a schema has been mentioned.   I am going to
look into this.

I like where you are heading with this.  It keeps the objects organized and
can limit permissions.  The one issue I see with this approach is my team
is local server admin on the DB server and local server admins
are automatically sysadmin.  I am not happy with with this because I don't
like that it gives all server admins (outside of my team) sysadmin but
according to our DBA it is just kind of how things work in this setup.
 The privileged restrictions you mention would not be enforceable for my
team.  Maybe it is time to remove our local admin access?

The other thing I am considering is when we restore the ARSystem DB form
another environment the Utilities DB remains the same and doesn't require
any updates.  A schema would be in the ARSystem DB and things like
references to linked servers would need to be updated since they also came
over with the DB.  I a figuring we could export the schema before the
ARSystem DB refresh and import it back after the refresh?

A few questions:

   - Using a schema would we see the schema reference say a Direct SQL
   action or SQL Menu as we would with calling a different DB?  I think there
   could be a benefit of seeing this reference when troubleshooting logs.
   - Do you think my original suggestion of using a different DB that uses
   the same infrastructure (SQL Instance, storage volume) would have a
   negative impact on performance?

Thanks!
Jason