From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Warren R. Baltimore II
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:04 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: HUMONGOUS table

**
ARS 6.3 patch 16
ITSM 5.5
Oracle 10
Solaris

I've got an audit trail table that has been quietly working for about 8 years
now.  We started seeing an issue about a month ago that is related to our
AST:Asset table.  Whenever a change is made and someone is associated with an
asset, the system grinds to a halt.  Usually, the change will timeout, but it
will update.

The problem is that at least once a day (usually in the morning) we will get a
malloc error.  For some reason, the server is not recycling itself when this
happens so I have to do it.

I've run all sorts of logs, and have come to the conclusion that it's the push
field to the audit file that is causing the problems.

The Filter was built using the old 1=0 trigger.  I believe that this is
triggering a table scan against the Audit Trail.  The Audit Trail was never
built to clean itself up and it has over 57 MILLION records!

Anybody have any idea on a quick, easy, surgical method for knocking this thing
down to a more manageable size without killing my server?

Also, I know that in later versions, the need to use 1=0 went away.  Any ideas
if it was still neccesary in 6.3?  I've tried the alternate method, but have
not had success.

Thanks in advance!

--
Warren R. Baltimore II