Long Live RemMail
Doug (UWIP)

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 3:20 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Incoming mail on ITSM

Nothing is there in 7.6.04 unless you build it; what I built from old RemMail
forms/filters for 7.0 is still working in 7.6.04 - strictly to add a Worklog
entry to an existing Incident.

ITSM 8.0 finally adds incident creation from incoming (although not as
foolproof as Remedyforce or competitors), and updates the Worklog from replies
for Incident, Known Error, Problem, Request, Task, and Work Order.  See
'Application Administration Console - Foundation - Email Engine Rules -
Configure Rules.'

The huge shortcoming in 8.0 is that it does not create an Incident for incoming
mail from an email address that is NOT the Email Address for someone already
present in the CTM:People table - and you are still limited to ONE email
address for each people record, as near as I can tell.  Worse, if it does not
find a matching email it does not create anything at all - just returns an
error to the sender.  At least Remedyforce and ServiceNow will go ahead and
create the Incident using a generic Site Guest User or Guest account,
respectively - allowing the helpdesk to receive the new incident and set the
correct customer or create a new one. OOTB, ITSM 8.0 just slaps them with the
following, lovely error message:

Your email with a Subject of: [ Test Email Injection with random text ] was
rejected: [ ]

...and leaves them feeling unfulfilled and unwanted.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
University of North Texas Computing & IT Center http://itsm.unt.edu/