Get them to create an xsd for their xml.  That gives you a rigid guideline
of what the xml document will look like (they can't cheat an xsd).  You
need this as an agreement on what you can and can't do with their data.
 Provide guidance on the data you need to do things on the Remedy side.  Do
not get hung up on the format.  xml parses/transforms easily.

If you want to be clever, you could create an ARDBC plugin that accepts an
XSD and file (or location to a file) and presents that in a vendor form.
 If you are comfortable with xml, xsd, xslt, the ardbc java plugin
interface, the java plugin server architecture/utilization, and the java
programming language, it should be fairly straight forward.  If you are
more comfortable with C, you could write it with that language instead of
Java.

You could also write a Java/C program that runs via cron or some other
scheduler (daemonized/internal), that reads a given xml file, given an xsd,
(and possibly incorporates an xslt) and maps the entries to form(s) within
Remedy.  This may be a better option as you won't need to rely on
escalations or other means of scheduling that contends for scarce resources
(I find escalation timing/scheduling reliability to be unreliable in most
shops I walk into, due to the mess of escalations already running; yes I
know pools help with this, but they also have a tendency to tie up a remedy
server).

The xsd is handy because it is very easy to validate an xml document using
an xsd.  If you are going to work in this space, rely on that to validate
the xml data before consuming it.  Run a check on the document, and if it
conforms, process it; if it does not conform, throw an exception and chunk
it.

If you decide to go down the programming/api route, don't try to write your
own xml parser.  There are too many good/reliable/proven/open libraries to
do that for you.  There are many nuances in the xml related specifications
that you simply don't have to worry about if you use a good set of
libraries.

JSS's XML Gateway is good at this.  The approach that makes the most sense,
given your situation, depends on whether you have more money than time
and/or expertise.

Axton Grams