Currently I'm using v8.1, but only recently came up from 7.1 where I'm also
sure it (trigger on Return) worked.

My immediate recollection (which I'm guessing is wrong from what you're
describing) is that "menu select" never did work on selection fields but
only "on return".  And I recall that this was always confusing to me
because when the display type is "drop-down", you're essentially selecting
from a menu.  So why is the trigger "on return"?  Always seemed weird.

But if I am wrong and menu select did used to work, well, then at worst
it's an inconvenience to identify and switch from "menu select" to "on
return".  At least workflow is "triggerable" on the action of checking (or
unchecking) a checkbox.