I think you could hard code your hosts file and add IPName parameter to
ar.conf with other server names and/or VIP name.
You might get it to work this way some how but it is prone to more
surprises down the line.
If you do not configure server group then when you make code changes in one
server, you need to manually send signal to other nodes to recache
definition or you need to write workflow for that.
I think you can achieve the way you want to control the traffic still using
a Server group.
Just do not add one node in the server group to load balancer routing rules
and use it for what ever processes you want.