My opinion is that 'performance metrics suck and don't work the way they
are intended'.  There has been healthy debate over the years regarding
exactly that subject, and every time it's happened, either on the list or
otherwise, it ends up being that no one 'metric' can accurately say that
this developer is doing 'better' than another developer.