Hi Chad, Seb, *

"Chad Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 12/5/05, Sebastien Lanteigne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> What about modifying the logo, specifically on the splash screen.
>>
>> For exemple the logo on the splash screen in Ubuntu Linux has bee
>> changed to have orange/brown gulls.
>>
>> I my opinion the logo is part of OO.o identity and should not be
>> change unless it follows certain guidelines.
>>
>> Is this allowed?
>>
>> Seb.
>
>According to the liscence (LGPL), you don't have to keep the logo at
all.
>You can rename, relogo, rebrand, whatever.  And people do.  A lot.

That's right - but there is just one small point Seb has mentioned -
and we have discussed it about two months ago:

The logo itself is *not* LGPL, nor licened under another open license.
See
http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=art&msgNo=1022

>If you want to be associated with the main OOo project, you probably
want to
>keep the OOo logo, or at least as close as possible.  But there is
nothing
>preventing a given project, (NL or otherwise) changing the name to
Free
>Office or Unclosed Office or Bob's Business Pack.

No problem if they rename it ...

>So it can be rebranded, but it would be nice to keep it as close to
the
>official OOo as possible.

... but using the official logo is (at least from a legal point of
view) not allowed without permission. I don't think, that the CC (or
Sun) would force Ubuntu to change their splash screen - but they could,
if they wanted to.

In the past it was not clear how to use the logo - so it was included
in many open licensed products without mentioning, that it is
proprietary licensed. We started to create a document describing who is
allowed to use or to modify the logo without explicit permission. But
this will take some time, I think...

Best regards
Bernhard