Hi Dave,

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Leibrandt, David R. (Fed)
<david.leibra...@nist.gov> wrote:
> 1. I assume this logic would be followed by some sort of digital filter to
> remove the unwanted Nyquist images.  Have you thought about how good of
> suppression you might be able to achieve, and at what FPGA resource and phase
> distortion cost?

That AA filter would be a better interpolator between the summing of
the f1/f2 oscilaltors and that data being fed into the f0 oscillator.
That filter would suppress the images. Currently there is just a
zeroth-order interpolator. I have played with designing a higher order
interpolator and for a CIC the math will survive the  up to second
order but most likely not for third and higher. Same for FIR.

> 2. Do you have an idea of the latency of the signal chain?  Say I wanted to
> do a phase lock by feeding new p1 values into the RTIO.  What sort of
> bandwidth could I achieve?

The p1 latency is about 37 cycles at 5 ns/cycle: a few misc cycles
here and there plus two CORDIC's worth of latency, each 16 bits + 3
guard bits.
Currently I have the latencies of all components matched so that RTIO
events on the different spline interpolators would automatically
arrive in the data stream time-aligned. For local feedback in e.g. PID
loops I would inject that feedback signal so that there is minimal
latency. For e.g. feedback on the p0 term that would be around 20
cycles, also at 5 ns/cycle. The u term can probably be as fast as one
or two cycles, the entire signal loop latency limited by other things.

Robert.