> All correct, except the last bit: the digital equivalent of DC/LO

> leakage is less than one LSB. There will be a spur but it's well controlled.

Remind me, for the current design, what's a 1 LSB spur in dBc? How does that
scale with the width parameters?

> How low do the other spurs have to be? They can also be controlled somewhat.

Generally, I'd argue that it's probably okay to think of this in terms of
off-resonant excitation amplitude for a narrow-linewidth transition. So, the
tolerable spur amplitude scales with the distance from the nearest atomic
transition, which depends on the experiment. We're more sensitive if the spur
offset is in the 100kHz - 10MHz range that motional modes lie in, due to
Lamb-Dicke parameters.

> And regarding the benefit I don't see a reason why the spurs would
> necessarily move or be guaranteed to change a lot by choosing the "band".

Am I wrong in thinking that the frequency separation between the spurs and the
RF tones depends on things like the frequency of the base-band oscillator? So,
for the same RF output frequency, the spur offset frequency can be moved by
changing the DUC frequency. At the very least, I'd expect a spur at the DUC
frequency, which will shift as that frequency changes. What am I missing here?

> Maybe f_rtio/4 is going to be quite a bit costlier than f_rtio/2

I can't see any reason to go finer than f_rtio/4. f_rtio/2 is probably okay,
but we'd need to give it more thought. Would be interesting to see how much
worse f_rtio/4 actually is in terms of FPGA resources etc.

> The logic resources are a bit worse than O(n*log(n)) in each of the
> bit width parameters. And the noise goes roughly as the well known 6dB
> per bit.

Thanks. Can you remind me what the noise situation is with the current
parametrize? Am I right in thinking this just contributes white PM/AM? At what
level in dBc/Hz?

I'm a bit reluctant to let the SAWG degrade the DAC's noise floor by too much.
So, I'd prefer to try to concentrate on other ways of simplifying the design.
If we can achieve something satisfactory without degrading the noise, let's do
that. If we can't then we can come back to this.

Dr Thomas Harty
Junior Research Fellow, St John's College
University of Oxford, Department of Physics
The Clarendon Laboratory
Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PU
Mob: +44 (0)7986 375 052