From: Richard Larsson <ric.lars...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:48:49 AM
To: Simon Pfreundschuh
Cc: ARTS Development List
Subject: Re: [arts-dev] Renaming of constants

Hi Simon,

I think that this is a good idea. I would go further and remove all of
constants.cc while you are at it.  Or as much as possible.

Some notes:

You have misunderstood one thing.  The Delta_nu_Cs variable is a properly named
snake_case variable that follows the naming convention of the International
System of Units.  The Greek letter Delta is used by them, the Greek letter nu
is used them, and cesium in short is Cs, not cs.  Of the variables in Constant,
two are clearly not following the proper naming (though I might have missed
others).  NA should be N_A and k should be k_B to be consistent with SI
standard notation in snake_case.  If you wish to change to another case style,
whatever else your do, please be consistent with capitalization in SI, so that
(for example) DeltanuCs is both the Pascal and camel case of said variable.
Please do not make up your own variable names while ignoring SI standards as
this will just reduce the readability of the code.  Your example of kDeltaNuCs
is one example of making up a new variable name, since Nu is not used in the SI
standard notation (and so it should not be in ARTS).

The extra "k" at top is very very ugly and I think that it should not be there.
 Just use the namespace instead to separate these things.  This is in the
Google style anyways.  Exceptions to this would be in the Conversion namespace,
where a k at the top might be warranted (since the variables are not really
meant to be used but instead the conversion formula should be used).

I am unsure what Google believes about the use of static in the namespace code.
 This should perhaps be removed.

The Conversion namespace is completely messed up in naming and can be changed
as you please.  If you are renaming these variables anyways, using
Conversion::sind and the rest of the degree-based trigonometry whenever
possible (i.e., in most of m_ppath and ppath) would be good since it makes the
code easier to read (by making it shorter).

With hope,
//Richard

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019, 08:03 Simon Pfreundschuh