From: Manfred Brath <manfred.br...@uni-hamburg.de>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2022 2:38:24 PM
To: Xia Mengqi
Cc: Oliver Lemke
Subject: Re: Fwd: [arts-users] Direct radiation is subtracted when it should not

Hello Xia,

since the star related methods are still under development, some documentation
is still missing. Therefore, you chose unfortunately the wrong surface agenda.
The iySurfaceRtpropAgenda calculates only the surface reflection/scattering
from the diffusive radiation field. No direct radiation is intended to be
considered by this method.

If stars are present you should use following surface methods:

for a Lambertian surface with predefined reflectivity

  *   iySurfaceLambertian
  *   iySurfaceLambertianDirect

for a flat surface with predefined reflectivity

  *   iySurfaceFlatReflectivity
  *   iySurfaceFlatReflectivityDirect

for a flat surface (Fresnel reflection) with defined refractive index

  *   iySurfaceFlatRefractiveIndex
iySurfaceFlatRefractiveIndexDirect

Here is a example for a surface agenda with a Lambertian surface

@arts_agenda
def iy_surface_agenda(ws):
    ws.iySurfaceInit()
    ws.Ignore(ws.dsurface_rmatrix_dx)
    ws.Ignore(ws.dsurface_emission_dx)
    ws.iySurfaceLambertian()
    ws.iySurfaceLambertianDirect()

and for a flat surface with Fresnel reflection

@arts_agenda
def iy_surface_agenda(ws):
    ws.iySurfaceInit()
    ws.iySurfaceFlatRefractiveIndex()