Unfortunately if the delimiter is legal within the delimited text
there is always going to be a risk of clashes.

The Asciidoctor implementation therefore requires that the closing and
opening delimiters be the same length.  This allows you to choose a
length that doesn't clash with the contents.

It would be good if someone made a patch that made that an option on
Asciidoc Python as well.

But at the moment the only option is as you found, make the contents
of the code not match the delimiter by adding something to the line,
either the spaces at the start that you used or a comment at the end.
You could also try an invisible Unicode code point like zero width
space U+200B if it doesn't break your highlighter.

Cheers
Lex