On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 at 15:05, Stargazer <prusselltechgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting read. I hope it gets ironed out as needed. I thought asciidoc
> written in Python 2 was going to age away.  The official upgrade path from
> Python 2.7 is to Python 3 (PEP 404). The EOL for Python 2.7 is 2020 (PEP 373).

The EOL is known about, see the description at the top of the original
Asciidoc Python github https://github.com/asciidoc/asciidoc.

> The largest change in Python 3 is handling of strings. The amount of work to
> port asciidoc using Python 2 to asciidoc3 using Python 3 must have been
> significant.

See the first two PRs here
https://github.com/asciidoc/asciidoc-py3/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+

I had also expected the amount of changes for Unicode vs ASCII
handling to be significant, but seems it was not so bad (but then I
didn't have to do it :).

> Really like Asciidoc and recommend it all the time.

Good to hear, but don't forget that there is also the Asciidoctor
implementation.  Its active and (as I am not a direct contributor to
Asciidoctor I can say this without blowing my own trumpet) MUCH faster
than Asciidoc Python.  And as it is moving to reduce the reliance on
the Docbook toolchains is probably more suitable for new users.

Cheers
Lex