test-multiple works for me with asdf 3.3.1.4, mkcl 1.1.10.19-2dbfa99
on Linux 4.14 x64.

This is all long gone from my mental cache. The test could be better
commented, but I suppose the purpose can be extracted by looking at
its history then looking at related commits, bugs, bug fix commits,
mailing-list messages, etc. A starting point:
git log --stat test/test-multiple.*

Apparently, it tests support for what is now considered misnamed
secondary systems, but was once a kind-of-supported feature, seen in
the wild, with nasty consequences sometimes (e.g. infinite loop with
quicklisp until relevant fix).

A variable not being rebound is a test that a file hasn't been reloaded.

I'd rather not add comments, but I'll review them gladly.

Everyone hates a martyr. It's no wonder martyrs were burnt at a stake.
                — E.W. Howe, "Country Town Sayings", p.7