> I tried a later version (3.2 or 3.3, I forget which) and adg fails to
> load. I think I'll stick w/ the last known working version until I
> sort out getting it to run ...

It loads perfectly for me:
sbcl --eval "'(#.(require :asdf) #.(in-package :asdf) #.(upgrade-asdf)
#.(load-system :asdf-dependency-grovel))" --quit
No error.

>> If that still fails, rather than the asdf plumbing itself, can you
>> identify if the dependency instrumentation is still working on the
>> latest SBCL?
>
> How would I determine if the dependency instrumentation is working? It
> is not working in the sense that the known dependencies are not
> detected -- do you mean something else?

See if fine-grain-instrumented-load works with the expected
side-effects, emitting the suitable signal-user, signal-provider, and
other signal-* events.

At this point, you have to read the source code. I don't believe
anyone is left to help you. But if you have specific questions, I can
read the source code too and maybe remember more context. (NB: I
didn't write that code, but I oversaw an intern who used it, and
tweaked it a little bit to package it better.)

> Okay, there is a warning about an internal SB-something function --
> I'll look at whether the relevant code can be updated.

Again, good luck, and happy holidays!

—♯ƒ • François-René Rideau • Co-Founder and President, MuKn.io
“If all values are relative, then cannibalism is a matter of taste.”
        — Leo Strauss