> I tried it again with ASDF 3.3 + SBCL 2.1.1, and I can load adg
> successfully, with a couple of (push "path/to/adg/"
> asdf:*central-registry*) to help it along.
I strongly recommend using the ASDF2-era source-registry instead.

> However, when I try to run
> the unit tests, I get an error from ASDF about "failed to mark it
> done". There is also a warning about "proper dependencies" as well.

I see that the way that perform calls load-instrumented-systems that
calls load-asd is very incompatible with asdf 3.3. I don't understand
what this whole thing is about, but it smells very wrong to me.
Presumably, these shenanigans should instead be replaced by some
instrumentation of define-op (that failed to exist before asdf 3.3).
And dependency-op should possibly be also replaced by the same
instrumentation of load-source-op.

>    Deprecated recursive use of (ASDF/OPERATE:OPERATE 'ASDF/LISP-ACTION:LOAD-OP
>    '("test-serial-system")) while visiting
>    (ASDF-DEPENDENCY-GROVEL:DEPENDENCY-OP "test-serial"
>     "asdf-dependency-grovel-test/serial")
>    - please use proper dependencies instead

Yup, this is very incompatible with ASDF 3.3, that both offers and
requires much better ways to do things.

—♯ƒ • François-René Rideau • Co-Founder and President, MuKn.io
“The fool considers that what he doesn't understand is either extremely stupid,
or extremely intelligent, pending on how others react to it.”  — Nassim Taleb