Now that you asked Utpal :-):

It has been quite an awesome journey for me since I took up beekeeping in the
spring of 2010. Some of you read about the emotionally
roller-coasting experiences: The loss of a queen, laying-worker colony,
destruction of the colony, replacement with a new starter in early summer
and so forth. Anyway, I managed to get two good colonies going thru the fall of
2010, overwintered them successfully, started the spring of
2011 with two solid colonies ready for the spring honey collection. I split off
some combs from both the two strong colonies and made a third one
with a new queen purchased thru our bee-club. The two older colonies started
collecting honey in earnest as soon as the nectar-flow began and the
third built up strength to join in the effort early in summer. I extracted my
first honey during the Memorial-day weekend of ( last one of May) of 2011,
and kept harvesting until mid-July. I extracted 327 lbs. of honey by the time I
stopped. That was much more than my wildest expectations. Samples of our
bounty traveled across the continent and beyond the oceans, all the way to
Assam. I sold some too. But UPS got a whole lot more on shipping costs
than my sales could make up for. My mentor in the club told me that our crop
was much, much above the average yield of the club members. I attribute
that to the strength of the colonies -- all the hard work paid off-- and the
abundance of nectar in our environs.

As if all that was not enough, I took up mead making. Mead is wine made from
honey and is the earliest form of wine that humans ever brewed.
"Soma" is speculated to be honey-wine, as was the Greeks' Ambrosia. 8 thousand
year old Egyptian honey-wine remains have been discovered in the
Pyramids. More recently,  the merrymaking libations supplied by Friar Tuck to
Robin Hood and and his band was mead. So, as you can see, mead has
a sweet and intoxicating history. I used 15 lbs. of my finest clover honey to
start a batch of 5 gallons of mead on New Years day, 2012. Today I am
cleaning salvaged wine bottles to bottle 4.5 gallons of our very drinkable
mead. It tastes like semi-sweet Riesling. If you pay us a visit, we shall break
bread,
or more precisely, partake of maasor-tenga with a fine bottle of Mahanta Mead
of the Ole Jamestown Apiary, 2011 vintage. Experts say, however, that mead
should be aged at least a year for it to taste good, better still with about
three years of aging. I doubt my 4.5 gallons will last that long.

That was the good news.

My bees  ran into trouble in the summer of 2012. By the end of fall I lost
three of my hives. Only one overwintered successfully, but that hive
got diseased by March, and after returning from Assam by the last week of
March, I was without a single hive. It was devastating. The roller-coaster
never seems to end.

Next: A renewed Attempt at Rebuilding and Trapping Feral Swarms.

c-da