While I respect Mr. Barah's sentiments here, allow me to express a few
contrarian views:

*** We all know that Assam and India has failed misearbluy to protect the
rhinos. However
     Assam rhinos are NOt the only victims. Even African rhinos have been
suffering from
     exactly the same fate.

*** African rhino protection has received far more advanced international
assistance than
     Assam rhinos. But still the dangers to them have not abated.

*** It is under such circumstances that de-horning of rhinos is being
experimented with, in Africa.
      While it obviously is a desperate attempt to save the rhinos, it does
indeed seem to be
      an effctive way to prevent their killing, at least temporarily.

*** It is known that a small percentage of rhinos being sedated to de-horn may
die from the operation,
      it is a very small risk.

*** The bigger problem here is the fact that a properly removed rhino horn will
re-grow. In African rhinos,
      the rate is 3" to 5" a  year. At that rate a rhino woluld hyave to be
de-horned again in about 5 years.
      Since Assam rhinos are smaller and their horns are shorter, such
de-horning may provide safety for the
      animals for a longer period than for African rhinos.

*** In a few years the effectiveness of the  process can be examined to see if
it is worth continuing. The Assam rhino
      population is much smaller than its African counterparts.  So, if it is
effective, the procedure is probaly more sustainable
      over time than, say, in Africa.

*** Finally a living rhino, even a de-horned one, is a far better alternative
than a dead rhino, killed brutally by
     poachers.

Under the circumstance I support the idea of de-horning Assam rhinos.

Chandan K. Mahanta
Architect

St. Louis, USA