Media employees demonstrate against Sangbad Lahari’s closure
http://spnewsagency.com/media-employees-demonstrate-against-sangbad-laharis-closure/

________________________________
From: Pankaj Barah <pankajbo...@gmail.com>
To: supportachild-assam <supportachild-as...@yahoogroups.com>; Barua Rajen
<rajen.ba...@gmail.com>; Wahid Saleh <w.sa...@indiawijzer.nl>
Cc: "assam@assamnet.org" <assam@assamnet.org>;
"friendsofassa...@yahoogroups.com" <friendsofassa...@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Assam] [SupportAChild-Assam] RE: Petition against dehorning
rhinos in Assam [1 Attachment]

Dear all,

Thank you all for your great support for the cause. All total 1750 people
from across the globe have signed the petition opposing the proposal of
dehorning the rhinos, which was put forwarded by the Principal Chief
Conservator of Forests (Wild-Life), Assam. The petition along with all the
signatures and comments has been submitted to the PCCF, Assam with copy to

1. Hon'ble minister, Ministry of Environment & Forests, Paryavaran Bhavan
CGO Complex, Lodhi Road New Delhi - 110 003 INDIA

2.  World Wildlife Fund (WWF International), 1250 24th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20037

3.United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations Avenue,
Gigiri PO Box 30552, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya

4.  People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India, PO Box 28260
Juhu, Mumbai - 400 049

I am attaching the copy of the submitted petition here:

Best regards,

Pankaj

The Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wild-Life), Assam,

Assam Forest Department,

Basistha, Guwahati-29

*Subject: Regarding Invitation of Opinion from Citizens of Assam on the
issue of Rhino Dehorning.*

Respected Sir,

in Assam; Bhaxa Xahityo Xonmiloni Axom (*ভাষা* *সাহিত্য* *সন্মিলনী**, **অসম*
*)*, a non-profit organisation of Assamese people (of more than 15000
members) from all across the globe and its Facebook group Axomiyat
Kotha-Botora (*অসমীয়াত* *কথা*
*বতৰা*<https://www.facebook.com/groups/axomiyakothabotora/>
) have started an online campaign for collecting comments and signatures on
the proposal of dehorning rhinos in Assam. More than 1500 people from
across the globe have signed the petition opposing the move by the PCCF,
Assam. We are forwarding all the names and address of the people who have
signed the petition along with their comments.

There are numerous cases where dehorning has proved insufficient to prevent
rhinos from falling victim to poachers. For example, in Hwange National
Park, Zimbabwe during the early 1990s, the majority of dehorned rhinos were
killed just 12-18 months after being dehorned. In Zimbabwe’s Save Valley
Conservancy, six newly dehorned rhinos were poached during January-August
2011 (one rhino was killed within 24 hours and another within five days of
being dehorned).

Horns grow back over time, with recent studies claiming that the re-growth
of dehorned rhino horn appears faster than growth in non-dehorned rhinos.
With the current severe poaching threat, experts recommend that rhinos
should ideally be dehorned every 12-24 months.

Dehorning is an intrusive procedure and, like any immobilisation, there is
a risk to the rhino during the operation. While all efforts are taken to
reduce the risk, there are sometimes veterinary complications while the
animal is under anaesthetic that may result in death. The more frequently
the rhinos are immobilised, the greater the risk.

We believe that trimming the horns of rhinoceros cannot stop illegal
poaching of rhinoceros. Another contentious issue is whether dehorning
actually deters poachers. Joel Berger, in a 1993 paper published in
Conservation Biology, *suggested that poachers do not discriminate among
rhinos based on the size of their horns, meaning even rhinos with stumps
could be targeted.1*  This conclusion may have some support. Janet Rachlow,
a conservation biologist at the University of Idaho and one of Berger’s
former Ph.D. students, helped manage a population of mostly dehorned white
rhinos in Zimbabwe’s

1.
http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/pdf_files/117/1178933370.pdf

Hwange National Park in the 1990s. Normally, the herd was guarded by armed
rangers; *however, a budget shortage forced the park to scale back its
security, and, as a result, most of the rhinos were poached anyway. *Berger
and his wife, Carol Cunningham, conducted the research in question in
Namibia in the early 1990s. *In 1994, they published an article in
Science suggesting that dehorned mother rhinos were less capable of
defending their babies against predators than horned rhinos. 2*

We have analysed a few case studies and have tried to rationally
investigate if Dehorning has reduced poaching.

·  In Namibia between 1989 and the early 1990s, dehorning *coupled with
rapid improvements in security* is perceived by stakeholders in that
country to have contributed to reducing losses to poaching.

·  In Zimbabwe, during the early 1990s, a massive dehorning programme,
coupled with the translocation of rhinos from vulnerable areas *into well
protected IPZs* and conservancies away from the country’s borders is
perceived by stakeholders in the country to have contributed to reducing
losses to poaching. In addition, rhinos that have been dehorned in recent
years in the Zimbabwe Lowveld conservancies appear to have 29.1% higher
chance of surviving than horned animals (du Toit 2011).

· Dehorning in Swaziland during the early 1990s, coupled with efforts to
move rhinos to a *smaller and more secure sanctuary* within Hlane National
Park seem to have been effective at reducing poaching of those animals, but
may have simply shifted the focus of poachers to other rhino populations in
the country.

· In Mpumalanga, tentative insights from the dehorning programme in the
provincial parks suggest that the intervention has caused a reduction in
poaching losses.

· However, in Hwange National Park, dehorning in 1991 *was unsuccessful
primarily due to a virtually complete lapse in security for six months
12-18 months after the rhinos were dehorned. *

·  Similarly, several populations in Zimbabwe that have been almost
completely dehorned in the last 2-3 years (Hwange National Park, Matobo
National Park, Matusadona National Park, Chipinge Safari Area,
Sinamatela) *have
suffered severe poaching, due to the lack of security in those areas.*

·  The rhino population of Chiredzi River Conservancy which was completely
dehorned (which had poor security and was heavily settled by subsistence
farmers following land ‘reform’) was virtually eradicated by poachers
(during 2003-2007), *whereas Malilangwe Trust (where no dehorning was done,
but where there is excellent security) has not lost any rhinos.*

·  In South Africa, several incidents have been recorded of dehorned
rhinos being killed by poachers in the last two years (including two in
September 2011). In one incident, a horned rhino was wounded by poachers,
and then dehorned by management and placed in a boma, *where poachers
returned to kill the animal despite clearly being able to see that the
animal was dehorned* (F. Coetzee, pers. comm.).

Apart from the statistical analysis above, there are other emotionally
significant reasons behind our appeal to stop the dehorning of Rhinos.

·      One horned rhinos along with tea are the only two symbols which
define what Assam stands for. On a national or an international platform
these are the two things that make us stand out and put us somewhere on the
world map. The horn of the one horned rhino stands like a proud epitaph
reminding us of our heritage our culture. A hornless rhino would put a
serious mark on our cultural symbol itself.

2.
http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/pdf_files/117/1175857535.pdf

·      Tourists all over the world are drawn to Assam to watch this one
horned wonder the rhino. Dehorning the rhinos would lead to despair and
dismay and the limited tourists that we have (inspite of the huge
potential) would also stop visiting our state. This would lead to a loss in
the state exchequer. In a state as financially strained as ours every penny
lost would reflect in our inability to give shape to our future.

From the above, it is pertinently clear that in an unsecure environment,
such as in Kaziranga, dehorning of Rhinos will not yield desired
results. *First
we should beef up security measures in the region.* There are examples, as
mentioned above in the case of *Malilangwe Trust*, where excellent security
has minimized poaching to NIL.

Hence, we strongly oppose the proposal of doing experiments by dehorning
rhinoceros as a conservatory measure. We feel that the international
community should consider other options, such as conducting economic
analyses of the horn trade and taking steps to crack down on the global
demand for rhino horns.  If successful, such measures could reduce the need
for brutal methods like dehorning.

We hereby request the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wild-Life),
Assam to put an end to this cruel proposal. We would also like to bring
this proposal into the kind notice of concerned authorities like- WWF
International, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA),United
Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and Ministry of Environment and
Forests, Govt of India.

Sincerely,

<All the signatures>

* Copy To:*

1.    Hon'ble minister, Ministry of Environment & Forests, Paryavaran
Bhavan CGO Complex, Lodhi Road New Delhi - 110 003 INDIA

2.    World Wildlife Fund (WWF International), 1250 24th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20037

3.    United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations Avenue,
Gigiri PO Box 30552, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya

4.    People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India, PO Box
28260 Juhu, Mumbai - 400 049