From: Pankaj Barah [mailto:pankajbo...@gmail.com]
Sent: zondag 23 maart 2014 16:56
To: friendsofassa...@yahoogroups.com; assam@assamnet.org;
supportachild-assam
Cc: Barua Rajen; Wahid Saleh
Subject: Petition against dehorning rhinos in Assam

Dear all,

Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wild-Life), Assam, Assam Forest
Department is proposing an experiential project to  dehorn the rhinos in
Assam as conservation measure. They are asking public opinion on or before
30th of March 2014 in this regard. The opinions can be send to
<pccf.wl.as...@gmail.com> by email or to "Principal Chief Conservator of
Forests (Wild-Life), Assam, Assam Forest Department, Basistha, Guwahati-29,
Assam" by post.

We believe that trimming the horns of rhinoceros can not stop illegal
poaching of rhinoceros. It may have negative impact on rhino's normal
physiology, or psychological status. We, strongly oppose the proposal of
doing experiments by dehorning rhinoceros as a conservatory measure.

'Asomiyat Kotha-botora' a facebook group consisted of more than 15000
members across the globe  is preparing an online petition opposing this
unethical proposal by the PCCF, Assam. I request you all to sign this
petition with your short comments and  contact address by clicking the
following URL. Copy of this petition  will also be sent to People for the
Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India, World Wildlife Fund,  Ministry of
Environment & Forests, India and United Nations Environment Programme etc.

https://www.change.org/petitions/principal-chief-conservator-of-forests-wild
-life-assam-don-t-trim-horns-of-rhinoceros

We would also appreciate if  someone living in USA (FASS officials) comes
forward to help us to send this letter with all collected signatures to the
World Wildlife Fund, 1250 24th Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20037.

Best regard,

On behalf of 'Asomiyat Kotha-botora' group

Pankaj Barah

Cell Molecular Biology and Genomics Group
http://boneslab.bio.ntnu.no/wordpress/
Norwegian University of Science & Technology (NTNU),
Realfagbygget,  Room no.: DU1-172
N-7491, Trondheim,Norway
E.mail: pankaj.ba...@bio.ntnu.no
Homepage: http://www.ntnu.edu/employees/pankaj.barah