Title: Re: [Assam] From the Tehelka
Hi Ganesh,

>If some people
write about their opinion, then it should come in the
>OPINION column, not in the IJ section.

*** You will be right about it if the Tehelka article on the Maharani were
opinions. I read the article over again to check how many of the various pieces of information were OPINIONS. I did not find many. There were a couple. One for example is:

        >From the tip of a manicured toe to the disdainful toss of
        >her lustrous mane, everything about the Maharani of Dholpur aka
        >Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje spells arrogance.
        >She is out-of-bounds and above the mundane world of governance.

Another, to a lesser extent is:

        >The sindoor-wielding maharani is a far more circumspect and
        >shrewd politician than poor Uma who hurts herself
        >every time she opens her mouth.

I could not find any more. Maybe you can point out others that I missed. Then we can discuss the journalistic ethics of Tehelka's as to the appropriate categorization of the article.

>Looking by the Tehelka articles, I would not hesitate
>to compare Tarun Tejpal with Bill O'Reilly!

*** You and I can view it as whatever we choose to. That is our prerogative. You  have seen how *I* am viewed by our distinguished Netters and riverlinkers, which over the years included all of the below, and then some:
        * Anti Indian
        * Anti National
        * Traitor
        * Badan Borphukan
        * Slippery
        * Fundamentalist
        * Arrogant
        * Aristotle
        * Liberal
        * Conservative
And I was compared to Ayatollah Khomeini, G W Bush and other well-known personalities.

So on and so forth. (I wished I had kept a running list somewhere :-))
But I don't complain. I can't exile anyone to vanabaas for their OPINIONS. It is free country.

But just because some hold such opinions of me, does not necessarily make me all those. I have been very fortunate that most people don't consider me to be all or any of those.

Similarly for Tarun Tejpal.

>Do you agree with his ideology! He claims to be the most balanced journalist!

*** Not if my life depended on it.

But that is exactly the point. I am sure you have your reasons to think of Tejpal as you do.  But I don't agree with that view at all.

>Someone said about neutrality; "one should not only be
>neutral but also look neutral"

*** Says WHO, Ganesh? Is it a religious, or moral or ethical journalistic
requirement, failing to comply with which one could be punished or held in contempt?

Besides, can you show one EXAMPLE of such neutrality. I challenged Rajen with that. But he beat around the bush, changed the subject, preached about journalistic ethics, set NPR as the standard for ALL journalism and all that, but could not point to a single NEUTRAL example.

Because to be NEUTRAL, it has to be considred so by both or all parties to the controversy, Not just Rajen or Ganesh :-).

I know freedom of information and speech are confounding and annoying issues, but that is how it is Ganesh. Would you rather have such freedoms curtailed?
Ultimately it boils down to WHO or WHAT is more credible, more persuasive. And the responsibility of judging that lies squarely on our shoulders. No one is required to bring the TRUTH and NOTHING but the TRUTH wrapped in the way we like it, on a silver platter and spoon-feed  us with it. We have to exercise our own intellect to judge it.

c-da