My personal thoughts on the "proper" language to use is to be as
simple as possible while remaining as accurate as possible. Perhaps
this is a "dumbing down", but ON THIS FORUM, as you pointed out, there
may be non-native readers. I consider it my responsibility as the
communicator to be understood by the reader. So I will eschew
obfuscation and esoteric arcana and embrace the KISS principle. Others
may do as they wish. I will likely ignore them. I have a very high
selective inattention level.
ref: http://psychcentral.com/encyclopedia/2008/selective-inattention/

--
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown