> Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> Who made that moronic "single byte" rule!?

Back then, saving bytes was the norm and would not be considered moronic. 2
bytes could radically increase the size of your programs. A few extra bytes
added to transfer time. A few bytes was significant.
> It's startling how difficult it can be to shift paradigm
> beyond "two modes of thought" and invent another.

It's not difficult all. There are 3 paradigm (structured, unstructured and a
mix of both). Consider the worst case scenario (unstructured). Think of it like
a book where you must read thru it to find what you need. Add a table of
contents and index will give will give you a mix where reading the book may not
be necessary.

We are continually shifting the paradigm. We started with records. I believe
next was ISAM followed by databases & VSAM. Databases were significant because
we could finally move to a mix of unstructured data. You could apply additional
structure to the data as it was discovered. The next step will probably be
within "big data".

Regards, Jon