On Jan 25, 2022, at 11:03:23, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>> Fixing it should take precedence over documenting it.  Through a half-century
>> IBM has documented too many things that should have been fixed.
>
> Your assertion suggests the existing functionality broken. It's not.
>
> There is nothing wrong with 31-bit programs providing 18-word save areas.
> Most do.
>
> And there are valid, documented save area formats called programs use to save
> the high halves (and even the ARs) when invoked by "old school" callers.
>
> The key is proper documentation to understand what the called program's
> environment looks like. That was arguably "broken" and will be corrected.

The defect is in the training burden for entry programmers and secular bloat of
that documentation; a form of obsolesce.

64-bit should be the default and 31-bit or 24-bit quaint antiquities, akin to
Roman numerals.

When I write a C program I rarely worry about 64-bit versus older environments.
Feature test macros in header files do the worrying for me.

(Well, "rarely".  Once on a 64-bit big-endian system I built a FOSS findutils,
apparently targeted for 32-bit filesystem.  File sizes appeared wrong; I
accommodated.  The problem would have been hidden on little-endian.  I bet it's
been fixed since.)

-- gil