On Apr 29, 2022, at 12:08:22, Bob Raicer wrote:

> For the sake of clarity I am going to paraphrase some of the text
> found in the original S/360 Principles of Operation and the
> z/Architecture Principles of Operation.
>
>     ...  The two's complement of
> a number is obtained by forming the one's complement of the number
> (i.e., inverting all of the bits), adding a value of one in the
> rightmost bit position, allowing a carry into the sign position, and
> ignoring any carry out of the sign position.
> The two's complement of the maximum negative number cannot be
> represented in the same number of bits.  ...

Those two paragraphs contradict each other.  Surely it is possible
to invert all the bits of the maximum negative number, add a value
of one in the rightmost bit position, and *ignore*any*carry* out
of the sign position; the definition of "two's complement" above.
That's exactly what the LCR instruction does.

I believe what it intends to say is that the two's complement of
the maximum negative number is not its algebraic negation.

--
gil