Bob Goddard wrote:
On Wednesday 12 Oct 2005 14:53, Tom Rymes wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Bob Goddard
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:35 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Which asterisk-friendly cards
are fax-capable?

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2005 22:41, Lee Howard wrote:
Tom Rymes wrote:
Frankly, I would recommend that you forget about trying
to fax with

Asterisk. Buy a good Multitech analog modem and install HylaFAX.

Use the right tool for the job!!!
Actually, you can use HylaFAX and Asterisk together.

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/iaxmodem/

Just be certain that your audio path doesn't run over any
lossy medium

(so run IAXmodem on your Asterisk box).
I'll expand on what Tom meant....

Use a hardware based DSP for faxing not software based.
Actually Bob, that isn't what I meant. Lee simply suggested a different
way (IAXModem instead of analog modem) of implementing what I meant. I
would still recommend using analog if you can but, if you cannot, use
IAXModem from Lee.

Okay!

Asterisk's faxing capabilities are not nearly as advanced, stable, or
easy to set up as HylaFAX. Also, there seem to be many problems with
frame slipping and the like that screw up faxing over Digium cards, and
maybe others as well.

Does Hylafax do software based faxing? As far as I knew, it has always
required a DSP.

See IAXModem above for the soft DSP.