Stefano Corsi wrote:
Hello,

I'm following the thread "[EMAIL PROTECTED] vs Trixbox", and I have a similar question: if someone is going to install Asterisk, FreePBX and A2Billing, should you advice him/her to use Trixbox ... or a custom "step by step" installation on a distribution of his/her choice?

I started by trying out [EMAIL PROTECTED] I found that learning Asterisk internals was a bit more challenging trying to read and understand the [EMAIL PROTECTED] scripts.

Eventually, I ended up writing a Windows GUI of my own to help learn Asterisk.

The nice things about GUI's in my opinion is that routine chores such as setting up extensions, dialing extensions, hunt groups, etc. are less likely to contain scripting bugs or typos. The downside from what I gather with many GUI's is that the friendly abstraction that insulates you from the nuts and bolts of scripting and configuration also makes it difficult to customize the dialplan in some cases.

Of course, you should take this with a grain of salt since I tried [EMAIL PROTECTED] (now TrixBox) for a total of 2 weeks before gutting it. Now, I just use my own GUI for everything from graphical setup to scripting.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee