On 01/04/2011 8:52 AM, Andy Graybeal wrote:

Is it possible that I can run one cable to the phone, then run a cable
from the phone to a computer or another device and have those the phone
and computer or other device be on separate networks?
I'm sorry if this sounds newbish; I'm still learning.

I'm no networking expert, but no one else has answered, so I'll give it a shot.

It is indeed possible (quite common, actually) to run the wiring as you describe. If you want to keep the data and voice traffic separate, you can use VLANs to do so. Your switches will need to support VLANS, and you will need to configure VLANs to separate the voice and data traffic.

As I understand it, though, you are still subject to the bandwidth limitations of the underlying network, so it's still possible that heavy traffic from the PC might affect the voice traffic. QOS or other methods might be used to help avoid this.

For this reason, I personally prefer to keep my voice and data LANs physically separated when possible. Obviously, cost and complexity do increase somewhat. It's probably not a good solution for everyone, but it sounds like you have a pretty small installation and you might decide that the additional cost is justified.

Tom