I would. The whole Polycom line seems designed for desktop use, and the
speakers just don't get very loud. I have especially had this complaint
about the ring volume, even at some desktops!

In the hotels where we have installations that include busy kitchen
extensions there seems to be no substitute for an old analog wall mount
phone with a really loud ringer (backed by an ATA). That doesn't help
you with intercom though...

Jeff, thank you for your insight. Thats the second vote that I shouldn't be getting a regular phone to act as an intercom in a kitchen.

-Andy