Jerry has already clarified in a previous reply that he is running SIP over
TCP, not UDP.

But he hasn't clarified on which machine he is applying the iptables header
rewrite rules (10.201, or 1.3?).

Either way though, it seems like a kludgy work-around. IMO, it'd be better to
focus on creating the correct Asterisk peer configuration for the peer that is
operating on the non-standard separate port, and don't use any packet-header
mangling at all.

Jerry, can you post your configuration for the peer in Asterisk? (eg from

> On 17/10/2016, at 12:27 pm, Duncan <> wrote:
> Don't you want udp rather than tcp?
> Have a look at the iptables stats to see if any packets are hitting your
> rule.
> Also I think the source port from your host will be 5068 so your replies will
> be to the right port but you can double check
> tcpdump is also very useful here
> sudo tcpdump -i eth0 -n udp and host should show you packets
> between your machine and your odd host
> Cheers Duncan
> On 17/10/16 11:55, Mike wrote:
>> I'm by no means an iptables guru...
>> Not sure if it's necessary to enable forwarding via:
>>     echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>> Also have you tried without the "POSTROUTING" rule?
>> I seem to recall that "iptables" is smart enough to correctly route packets
>> back out without that rule.
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2016, Jerry Geis wrote:
>>> I have a host that wants to run SIP on 5068 (long story).My
>>> host is
>>> My host needs to stay on 5060 because of all the other devices I have
>>> connected.
>>> I tried putting port=5068 in my SIP extension definition but that did not
>>> work.
>>> So I thought about using iptables to accomplish this:
>>> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING  -p tcp --dport 5068                -j
>>> REDIRECT --to-port 5060
>>> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --dport 5060 -d -j
>>> REDIRECT --to-port 5068
>>> Do I not have the right format of the command?
>>> Anything incoming destined for 5068 redirect to 5060...
>>> Anything going out to and port 5060 redirect to 5068.
>>> Seems like that should have worked?
>>> Thoughts?  sip show peers still says unreachable.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jerry

-- Bandwidth and Colocation Provided by --

Join the Asterisk Community at the 13th AstriCon, September 27-29, 2016