On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 06:37:08PM +0200, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Marc Gonzalez <mgonza...@freebox.fr> writes:

> > As mentioned in my other reply, there are several msm8998-based
> > devices affected by this issue. Is it not appropriate to consider
> > a kernel-based work-around?
>
> Sorry, not following you here. But I'll try to answer anyway:
>
> I have understood that Device Tree is supposed to describe hardware, not
> software. This is why having this property in DT does not look right
> place for this. For example, if the ath10k firmware is fixed then DT
> would have to be changed even though nothing changed in hardware. But of
> course DT maintainers have the final say.

I dunno, if the firmware affects the functionality of the hardware in a
way that cannot be detected from the operating system at runtime how
else is it supposed to deal with that?
The devicetree is supposed to describe hardware, yes, but at a certain
point the line between firmware and hardware is invisible :)
Not describing software is mostly about not using it to determine
software policy in the operating system.