On 29/02/2024 20:46, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On 2/29/2024 10:40 AM, Conor Dooley wrote:

>>> Sorry, not following you here. But I'll try to answer anyway:
>>>
>>> I have understood that Device Tree is supposed to describe hardware, not
>>> software. This is why having this property in DT does not look right
>>> place for this. For example, if the ath10k firmware is fixed then DT
>>> would have to be changed even though nothing changed in hardware. But of
>>> course DT maintainers have the final say.
>>
>> I dunno, if the firmware affects the functionality of the hardware in a
>> way that cannot be detected from the operating system at runtime how
>> else is it supposed to deal with that?
>> The devicetree is supposed to describe hardware, yes, but at a certain
>> point the line between firmware and hardware is invisible :)
>> Not describing software is mostly about not using it to determine
>> software policy in the operating system.
>
> FWIW I've compared ath10k to the out-of-tree Android driver and there
> are discrepancies in this area. I've asked the development team that
> supports ath10k to provide a recommendation.

Hello Jeff,

Have you heard back from the dev team?

Do they confirm that an issue involving missing MSA_READY notifications
was ever noticed?

What devices were affected? (All msm8998? A subset of msm8998?)

Was the issue eventually fixed?
(Probably fixed, otherwise newer devices would be affected)

--
Regards.