As described in 2434, "IESG Approval", "though the IESG has discretion to
request documents or other supporting materials on a case-by-case basis".
I'd really like to see some guidance in the document to describe what the
IESG should look for.  We're not atom experts, so it's going to be hard to
determine what we should and shouldn't approve.  Another paragraph will help
future IESGs understand what they need to consider when reviewing requests.

> At 1:04 PM -0400 4/5/05, Scott Hollenbeck wrote:
> >There needs to be both text explaining why IETF practice
> isn't being used
>
> Good.
>
> >and there needs to be an identified URI.
>
> Bad.
>
> >   We don't need the URI *right now*,
> >but I want it in the document BEFORE I bring the document to
> the IESG for
> >review.  Explanatory text will suffice for last call purposes.
>
> Just to be clear: you are asking us to get the final URI for the
> namespace *before* the IESG has approved of the document. That means
> that it is really, really likely that some implementers will write
> and deploy code based on the draft that is going to the IESG, not
> waiting to see if the IESG demands changes for the wire protocol or
> the MUSTs and SHOULDs.
>
> Do you really want that (he asks pejoratively)?

Hmm.  Part of the problem is that there is no "normal" editing opportunity
once the document is in the hands of the IESG.  The editors can make changes
as a result of IESG review, or in auth48, but those changes are supposed to
be directed.  Auth48 changes are supposed to be editorial only.  This is
clearly a normative situation.

The other part of the problem is that you're asking the IESG to review a
specification that is incomplete without that little detail, and what's in
there now looks very obviously non-standard.  If you want to pursue a course
of action that is similar to what was done with the IDN prefix [1] you're
going to have to be a bit more clear about why the spec is incomplete.  I'm
OK with that, but please add text to the document to explain what needs to
be done, who will do it, and when it needs to be done.  Include a note that
says "this paragraph to be removed by the RFC Editor" if appropriate.  If
this all means that the URI will be provided to the RFC Editor when they ask
for it to finish the document, fine -- just say so.

-Scott-

[1]
I'll let Paul explain this reference if anyone asks.