I believe we decided not to address licensing in the Atom core because the probability of not getting it quite right is too high, especially given the differences between laws in various jurisdictions around the world. Having something in the core might require consuming applications to enforce licensing terms or make their authors liable in some jurisdictions, and we didn't want to create that rat's nest.