--On August 4, 2005 9:31:55 AM -0700 Tim Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So for now, I'm -1 on an weakening or removing "The element's content  MUST be
> an IRI" or analogous text in any other section. I'll stop  shouting if I'm in
> a small minority here.  -Tim

Wow, this string has made my "away on vacation" mailbox fatter.

I strongly favor making white space around IRIs illegal in Atom, whether
they are an ID or somewhere else. Same for dates.

This follows the robustness principle, where we are conservative in what
we generate. Atom processors are free to be liberal in what they accept,
so they can strip whitespace. Or not, I don't care.

Note that a feed with whitespace around an IRI can never be aggregated
into another feed, because a) the ID IRI cannot be changed, and b) the new
feed cannot cannot contain whitespace.

Making every single processor strip whitespace smells too much like
the HTML tag soup processors that we all have to maintain. Yuk.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Principal Architect, Verity